Since way back authorities have obtained revenue through taxation, but also through tolls at certain borders for the crossing and commercialisation of merchandise.
In 1355, Lausanne town council levied tolls at Ouchy, where a customs hall stocked all goods which were not immediately allowed onto Vaudois territory.
Besides the hall at Ouchy, which was specifically used for goods arriving across the lake, the town of Lausanne built other warehouses in 1735 to the back of the St-François church in the centre of town, where the main road Geneva-Bern passed.
We also noted that in 1797, the father of Alexandre Vinet - an important writer and political representative - was under-clerk at the tolls in Ouchy and later senior clerk at St-François.
Until 1835, the town leased this installation to private persons. However, following certain irregularities the state government took control. The Federal Constitution of 1848 brought profound changes in the areas of deliveries, mail and customs. In 1851, the warehouses of Ouchy and St-François were closed and all transactions were concentrated at the “Caroline”, in the building which was to become the school of medicine, and which still exists today.
The opening of the railway line Lausanne-City - Ouchy in 1877, and its connection to Lausanne main railway station, opened up new possibilities. During this period, the freeport of Lausanne was opened in 1886; it is considered the ancestor of the present firm PESA and one of the oldest bonded warehouse in Switzerland.
In 1963, the buildings in the city of Lausanne were outgrown. Due to increase of goods traffic, acces to the freeport had become very difficult for new type of lorries and trailers. Under the care of the regional Chamber of Commerce, and with the support of Customs, a study committee was created who chose the new site of Chavomay as a container terminal was already built there by a railway company under the name of Trensco SA.
The new freeport Lausanne-Chavomay was opened in 1976 and inaugurated on June 28th 1977.
Founding of PESA
Limited company with a capital-actions of CHF 4’000’000.-.
Majority holding through the group Planzer Transports SA
About 60 employees in the head-office and the offices.
- Customs offices in Chavornay, Vallorbe, Martigny and Geneva
- Transports organization by road, rail, air-freight and sea-freight
- Multimodal platform in Chavornay for handling up to 30 tons